Friday 3 September 2010

Too Many Magpies

I have almost finished Room after buying it on Wednesday and I have to say it is an utterly compulsive read that has cost me sleep and peace-of-mind since I picked it up. After starting it I wasn't able to relax until I was sure that the characters little Jack and Ma would get out of that godforsaken room and how that happens actually had me shaking with nerves and adrenalin last night! I already know I will be recommending this book heartily although not without one or two reservations... but I will save that for the review I will write sometime next week.

So what to start next? I have created a wish-list (under 'links') if anyone would like to have a look at stuff I plan on reading in the near future and help me decide which to read/review next?  Elizabeth Baines has released a new book (see her bookblog here) called Too Many Magpies, not only is the title wonderfully appropriate but the story looks fascinating too. Thoughts please!?

In non-book related news, tomorrow I have my first training session with the London Roller Girls. Im super excited. Wish me...not luck... but as few spills and bruises as possible!

3 comments:

  1. I've just read the Booker Shortlist and am going to go and buy Peter Carey's 'Parrot and Olivier in America' in the next few days, and have already recommended 'Room' to my dad after reading what you had to say about it. Will let you know what I think of Parrot and Olivier - unless you get to it first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gem, yeah I would love to hear your thoughts and/ or a review if you want to write one for this blog. My mum just bought two of the shortlisted books and she isn't keen on them so Im going to read them instead. I need to write a proper review for Room soon... perhaps later tonight.

    ReplyDelete