Monday 30 August 2010

Organic carrot and cream cheese cupcakes




Some of the tastiest cupcakes I have ever made, perfect accompaniment to a nice cup of earl grey and a good book!

For the original recipe I used 100g of butter in the icing but it was a little too soft and I had to add more icing sugar and I had loads left over, so I have reduced the amount to 75g.

Ingredients

(all ingredients organic where possible)

175g brown muscovado sugar
100g wholemeal self-raising flour
100g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp allspice
zest of 1 orange
2 eggs
150ml sunflower or rapeseed oil
200g grated carrot (approx 2 large carrots)

for the icing

75g butter, softened
300g soft cheese
100g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract


  1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with cases. In a large mixing bowl, mix the sugar, flours, bicarbonate of soda, mixed spice and orange zest (leave a little zest aside for the icing). Squeeze a little of the orange juice into the mixture for moisture. Whisk together the eggs and oil, then stir into the dry ingredients with the grated carrot. Divide the mixture between cases and bake for 20-22 mins until a skewer poked in comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before icing.
  2. For the icing, beat the butter until really soft, then beat in the soft cheese, icing sugar and vanilla. Use a palette or cutlery knife to swirl the icing on top of the cakes, then sprinkle with leftover orange zest.

3 comments:

  1. Bienvenida! mmm, qué ricas magdalenas.. me apunto la receta ;) besos

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look and sound incredible. I'm not a big reader but your blog is making me want to read again, I might end up buying some books if you give any good reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! Thats the idea! Thanks Jen :) I might post a list of some of my all-time top favourite reads at some point if that would be helpful?

    ReplyDelete